Note: Attempt FIVE questions, selecting ONE questions from each unit. Suitably assume any missing data. All questions carry equal marks.
1. b) Give the composition, properties and uses of mild steel (low carbon) and high-carbon steels. 10 marks
Ans: Refer Page 4 of BME - Basant Agrawal, Wiley India
4. (b) Explain the working of a thermocouple (thermoelectric) and radiation pyrometer with neat sketches. 10 marks
5. (b) A pipe of 200 m has a slope of 1 in 100 and tapers from 1 m diameter at the high end to 0.4 m at the low end. Rate of water fl ow is 4000 l/min. If the pressure at the high end is 50 kPa, find the pressure at the low end. 10 marks
7. (b) What short notes on the following: (i) Boiler classification (ii) Eco-friendly refrigerants. 10 marks
Ans: Refer Page 266-267 of BME - Basant Agrawal, Wiley India
9. (b) Explain Otto cycle and derive an expression for efficiency of Otto cycle. 10 marks